Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Totoro Birthday Cake


At a Christmas party for my husband's work I had the opportunity to speak with one of his co-workers about a cake he had asked me about.  His wife is a huge fan of the anime by Hayao Miyazaki "My Neighbor Totoro."  Of course, being a fan of Studio Ghibli myself I jumped at the chance to make this cake.  He had a picture he found on line of a cake he liked and I found a few more...only because I was uncomfortable with the original design.  He picked his favorite and I used that as my "cake-spiration" as I've taken to calling it.  It is copied off of another designers cake, but it has different elements as well.  Colors are varied...the cover leaves are different.  It is a Cassie's Creation although not original.



This is a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting.  (Three layers because I can never get a red velvet to rise correctly.)  The blue background, trees, soot sprites and hearts are completely fondant.  The leaves, Totoro, and bunny creature are fondant and gum paste mixed.  I made the creatures this way because you can seal them anyway you want and they will last for a long time.  The leaves were made this way for two reasons.  1) I thought I wanted them to be stiff.  I figured it would be easier applying them to the cake (WRONG!!)  2) I used white fondant and gum paste to stretch my green farther.  Next time I shall just be using white fondant.  I also chose to put the hearts back on the cake when I had origninally decided not to.  My main reasoning was this cake was for a wife and he loves her...as well as she loves Totoro.  I decided to go with a lighter color because I thought the original red stood out too much and the pink kinda blended well.



I had a lot of fun preparing this cake and can't wait to try my hand at another Studio Ghibli cake in future...until then...

From my Family to Yours;  Enjoy the Treats!!!

If your wondering about the cake-spiration original you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment