Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Cherry Blossom Baby Shower Cake



This is a cherry blossom inspired baby shower cake for the Atchley family.  She asked for a white cake that went with her cherry blossom theme; the rest was up to me.  I just love and loath cakes like that!  You never know how overboard you can or should go with cakes like this.  I think I hit it right on the head.  It fit in well with all the decorations and wasn't too overboard. 

Both tiers are white cake with the bottom tier being filled with white icing.  They are covered in pink fondant with brown fondant tree branches.  The cherry blossoms themselves are white icing.  I piped them onto wax paper and froze them so I could attach them to the cake with small amounts of frosting.  I got about half way through the cake before I had to refreeze the flowers again to finish.  I also left the flowers off during travel for safety purposes.

The baby on the top is made completely out of pink and natural fondant.  Her hair and eyes are painted on and under her blanket; her diaper is painted on as well. 

The blanket was created by making a square.  Using a fondant scalloped cutter for the edges.  Then to make the diagonal lines take a ruler and make a criss-cross pattern.  Then follow those lines with an embosser from your fondant and gum paste tool kit.  The blanket edges, I used the pick tool and used both edges with quick strokes as if I was trying to create fringe but not pushing all the way through the fondant.  It also helped to work on the pink foam that comes in most fondant tool kits.

All in all I had a lot of fun working on this cake and tried new methods that I've never used before.  I got some great ideas from YouTube and the Internet.  In fact the baby blanket I made using a YouTube video.  Everyone at the party loved the cake especially the guest of honor!  Congratulations Lacey & Jake and I can't wait to make more cakes for you guys!!!

From my Family to Yours; Enjoy the Treats!!! 


An early version of the baby,
but you can see the blanket.

Baby without the blanket
to see all the detail.


No comments:

Post a Comment